The Federation of Mountain Clubs of BC (FMCBC) is a province-wide federation of over 50 outdoor clubs with a membership of over 5,500 people. We promote self-propelled activities, such as hiking, mountaineering, trail running, snowshoeing and backcountry skiing through leadership, advocacy, and education. The FMCBC and member clubs engage with outdoor recreation organizations, government agencies, and others to promote, protect and maintain access for quality non-motorized recreation in BC’s mountains, forests, and wilderness. We are committed proponents of the “Leave No Trace” and “Right to Roam” principles.
The FMCBC is seeking an Administration & Communications Manager to support the work of its board of directors by managing administrative, financial and communications tasks for the organization. The person in this role reports directly to the FMCBC President, but will also work closely with board members, committee chairs, and club reps to help the organization work towards its goals. A high level of experience in nonprofit administration, bookkeeping and communications plus a self-motivated, well organized and team-focused attitude are required to fulfill this dynamic and diverse role.
- Permanent part-time – 80 hours per month.
- Wage: $23/hour.
- Work primarily from your home office, which should be in Greater Victoria or Metro Vancouver, BC for occasional in-person tasks.
- Office equipment or a monthly stipend will be negotiated.
- Flexible hours with occasional weekend and evening work required.
- Invoices and tracks payments of membership and insurance dues.
- Processes payables and receivables, makes bank deposits, and manages payroll.
- Completes monthly bookkeeping entries and bank reconciliations (Quickbooks).
- Assists Risk Management Committee with annual insurance renewal.
- Submits annual Society, CRA Information and WorkSafe BC reports.
- Files quarterly GST recoverable reports.
- Schedules, attends and records minutes for Board of Director meetings.
- Coordinates AGM preparations with host club.
- Sources and organizes annual trail marker purchase.
- Administers Member Club Grant Program with the Grant Committee.
- Completes annual tax exemption forms for Smoke Bluffs property in Squamish.
- Answers FMCBC phone and manages incoming mail.
- Researches and writes blog content promoting the FMCBC and its member clubs.
- Performs website updates and maintenance (WordPress).
- Manages social media channels.
- Researches and drafts monthly e-newsletters (Cyberimpact).
- Gathers and edits submissions to semi-annual Cloudburst magazine.
- Designs and distributes Cloudburst magazine (InDesign or Microsoft Publisher).
- Manages Groups.io email databases.
- Designs print and online promotional materials (brochures, flyers, posters etc).
- Assists with planning outreach/promotional events.
- Develops online forms/surveys.
The ideal candidate:
- Has experience working in an administrative role for a nonprofit organization.
- Is highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Has bookkeeping experience using Quickbooks or similar software.
- Possesses excellent research and writing skills.
- Has experience reviewing and interpreting bylaws and insurance contracts.
- Has experience working with WordPress, creating newsletters using online apps like CyberImpact or MailChimp and promoting an organization through social media channels.
- Is experienced in creating digital newsletters (PDF format) and graphics for print and online using InDesign or Microsoft Publisher.
- Has experience creating online forms using JotForm, Google Forms or other.
- Is super organized, self-motivated and strives to find creative solutions to problems.
If you are interested in this exciting role and feel you have the skills and experience the FMCBC is looking for, please send your cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com.
If you have examples of communications you have designed (flyers, brochures, posters, newsletters) or websites you currently manage, please include links to these in the body of your email or in your cover letter.
Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tentative start date: April 19, 2021, with interim training available to assist in the transition.
Closing date: Tuesday, April 13, 11:59pm. No phone calls please.