About the FMCBC
The Federation of Mountain Clubs of British Columbia (FMCBC) is the only province-wide umbrella organization dedicated to protecting and maintaining access to BC’s backcountry.
Since 1972, we have represented the interests of outdoor clubs from every corner of the province and have provided a united voice on issues related to non-motorized backcountry recreation.
Our membership is comprised of a diverse group of thousands of non-motorized backcountry recreationists including hikers, rock climbers, mountaineers, mountain bikers, trail runners, kayakers, backcountry skiers and snowshoers. As an organization, we believe the enjoyment of these pursuits in an unspoiled environment is a vital component to the quality of life for British Columbians, and by acting under the policy of “talk, understand and persuade” we advocate for these interests.
British Columbia’s backcountry is shared amongst all recreational users in a way that self-propelled users have reasonable access to an enjoyable experience
To advocate for safe, self-propelled activities (such as hiking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, snowshoeing, trail running and other backcountry activities) and the protection of BC’s backcountry for current and future generations to experience
- To represent clubs and the public interested in non-motorized backcountry recreation in BC, and to advise and take action on their behalf in matters which may impact their recreation experiences
- To make recommendations to government and non-government organizations regarding the protection of and access to BC’s backcountry and trails
- To encourage self-propelled backcountry recreation, and to promote low impact and safe practices
- To promote the development and maintenance of a systems of trails in BC
- To promote the sound management and preservation of BC’s backcountry recreation resources