Strategies to keep parks and trails partially, yet safely, open
Parks and trails managers can also consider ways to keep trails or recreation areas partly open during the different phases of reopening in the pandemic.
RC Strategies has put together a visitor management toolbox that looks at site design and infrastructure, visitor education, regulation, enforcement, and evaluation and monitoring. The toolbox includes 8 tools that could be integrated into a visitor management plan:
- Temporarily Adjust Site Designs & Permitted Uses to Support Physical Distancing
- Actively Disperse Visitors Throughout the Park System
- Establish Visitor Carrying Capacities for the Busiest Parks and Trails
- Provide Essential Infrastructure that Allows Visitor to Minimize Transmission
- Actively Educate Visitors and Demonstrate Appropriate Behaviours
- Backstop Indirect Visitor Management Actions with Regulation & Enforcement
- If Closure is the Only Option, Keep Residents Connected to their Parks…Virtually
- Start Your Recovery Marketing and Communications Planning Now
View the full guide here, which highlights tips for each tool in the kit.
Please share these resources with other outdoor clubs and recreation management groups. In times of stress, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic, people turn to the outdoors and nature for its restorative mental and physical benefits.
If you are not a member, consider joining the FMCBC. Membership benefits include:
- Connect with thousands of members from across BC to promote, protect, and maintain non-motorized access to BC’s backcountry.
- Join a Committee or provide a collective voice to advocate for parks, trails, and quiet places for recreationists to enjoy across BC.
- Receive tips and resources for outdoor recreation clubs or just to find your next hiking, biking, or kayaking adventure through getting involved in group discussions or subscribing to receive monthly or bi-annual publications.
- Add-on optional insurance to provide protection for directors, officers, or club members for claims arising from club-organized tours, trips, and other outdoor activities.
- Apply for a Club Member Grant to support a project that enhances outdoor and backcountry recreation.